Monday, November 14, 2011

Starved and Selfish

Today is one of a few rare occasions when I get up in the morning to see hubby off and don't go back to sleep til noon. Usually when this happens I'm either expecting someone or someone is expecting me. Today was no different - the electrician came in to fix something for reasons that will be interesting to no one.

Except this time I actually found myself looking forward to his arrival.

Let me make clear that there were no underlying reasons for this excitement. I didn't know this guy til this morning, not his name, much less what he looks like. So really, no reasons whatsoever. And yet I was wondering how much trouble I should put into looking presentable. Again, all in complete innocence.

When he arrived, I found he was rather friendly, as most Aussies are, at least here in Melbourne. Our conversation revolved solely around the job he'd come to do, but I was having so much fun having it (and I'm sure it showed) as if he was telling me I looked exquisite despite having just gotten out of bed.

Because really, who says 'exquisite' anymore?

That's how long it's been since I've made any new friends. I mean, sure, I've met the family's friends in passing, and thanks to the dinner we hosted some time ago I met some more of the husband's 'mates'.

But none of them are my friends.

Does that make sense?

I feel like I didn't pick them for myself, therefore can't possibly forge a proper friendship - not entirely consciously, of course. I'm not sure if this holds true for anyone else - it could be just another of my many strange traits. But I do know that this is the way I've always been.

When I first moved to Sunway, I was introduced to tons of people. But I didn't go on to become great friends with any of them (with one single exception who shall remain anonymous), which is saying something because I was introduced to a LOT of people.

Anyway, since the giant wheel of fortune that is the visa application has finally been set in motion, hopefully soon I'll be out and about, working, and finally have friends I can call my own.

If I haven't forgotten how to talk to people by then, that is.

No comments: