Friday, October 7, 2011

I will always remember you, Alistair Cook.

I'm back earlier than usual, I know. Things have (finally) started happening, and so I obviously have less to not talk about.

That's right.

Well first off, for those of you who are interested, the kitten has settled in nicely. And by nicely I mean she has decided, as kittens/cats do, that it's her house and we're her guests. Despite all my experience with cats, I, for some reason, thought that she would appreciate a bed of her own and some fluffy toys that resemble mice. While the toys were a big hit, the bed lies untouched. She instead prefers to sleep right in between me and my husband, where it is warmest. I would normally fight tooth and nail for this spot because it's my failsafe for when the temperatures drop at night. But as it turns out, even if I do manage to take her spot somehow, she will just sleep on top of me. And let me tell you, she's no feather. As I write this she is spread out in the middle of the bed with her paws in the air.

Ah, if only I was my kitten.

Last weekend I went to what was my first day at a job. My aunt has asked me to sub as a receptionist for her clinic on weekends, a position currently being filled by her kids. But seeing as they will be heading off to India next month for the summer vacation, she needs a replacement. Now you might think it's a completely unglamorous job, receiving sick people all day and spending the weekends in front of a very slow computer - and it is. But it pays easy money. Just for working 2 days a week I'd make almost $600 a month.

There's no typo in that sentence, I assure you.

Of course, that's if my aunt decides to pay me. I'm all for helping out and everything, but I'm hardly a volunteer.

Aside from that, and the fact that it's probably illegal for me to work at all right now, it's going well. Everything is already organized so all I have to do is learn where things go etc.

Not surprisingly, the biggest hiccup came when I had to answer the phone and make appointments. Every other response from my end was an awkward pause. It's like I've forgotten how to talk to people! This is kind of how the best of the lot went:

Me: Good morning, Sillyputty Doctors, how can I help you?

Dude: Yeah, this is Alistair Cook. I'd like an appointment.

Me: Sure, let me just check the list. *pause* We're fully booked today, can I put you in for tomorrow?

Dude: Yea, alright.

Me: *pause* Okay.

*pause*



Dude: So are you gonna give me a time, or...?

Me: Oh, right! Um, yea, 10 o'clock?

Dude: Yea I can't come in the morning, so...

Me: Oh, okay.

*pause*



Dude: Sure you can't do today? I just need a prescription filled.

Me: No, sorry, we're almost closing.

Dude: Oh okay, could I speak to the doctor maybe?

Me: She's with a patient at the moment.

*pause*



Dude: So you'll take a message, or...my number, and ask her to call me back or something?

Me: Oh, right! Yea, sure, I'll do that. Oliver, was it?

Dude: Alistair. Alistair Cook. And my number is ######.

Me: Right, sure. I'll ask her to call you back as soon as she's free.

Dude: That'd be great, thanks.

Me: You're welcome. Have a great day, Oliver.

...and then he hung up before I could correct myself. I have a feeling I'm going to be awesome at this.

Prayers and good thoughts welcome!

Edit: As it turns out, his name is Alistair Cox. What an epic fail this post seems like now.

No comments: