Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Conflict magnet

Tonight I inadvertently bore witness to a family falling apart.

Okay, it was just a little fight between siblings, but dramatisation isn't a crime.

It was awkward, though. I mean, how am I supposed to take sides when I'm equally related to two people who just refuse to get along? It's not like either of them has bought me anything done anything for me. It makes choosing between them really difficult when neither of them has any leverage. Of course, neither of them was saying anything that made sense to me either, but that's a different story.

That's not really the point, though. I don't know how, but I always manage to be smack in the middle of these sorts of things. I've been that socially awkward penguin type more times than I'd care to mention.

(Who is the socially awkward penguin, you ask? Read up.)

Not just during disagreements but also during "casual outings", and I can't decide which is worse. Either way my reaction ends up being exactly the same.

I just stay really quiet, as if that would make me invisible. And instead of just leaving/avoiding it, I just stay there til it's over. That's probably the part of me that can't stop watching a horrible movie just because I want to know how it ends. Sometimes I do work up enough courage to get out of there (usually to the bathroom) but at those times one of the two parties involved will undoubtedly feel the need to call on me to clarify one thing or another.

While I'm just there doing the pee-holding dance. You know the one.

Is there some sort of rulebook on how to behave in these situations? There have to be other people who have this problem, right? I remember a point in time where I was watching FRIENDS episodes day in and day out, and felt that no bad situation was immune to some Friends-esque behaviour.

Ironically, I lost most of my friends this way.

Still, I can't help picturing that lying undisturbed somewhere is a little known self-help book that holds all the secrets to being a awkward-situation James Bond. Either that or I'll just have to write one myself.

Now there's an idea.

No comments: