Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Good things come to those who wait.

I don't actually believe that. I think the best things go to the people who have the courage and the guts to reach out and grab it for themselves. If you wait, you'll just be watching someone else grab what you want while you remain....waiting.

Anyway, that's besides the point! Much has happened with me (around me?) and I felt the need to share it with you. Yes, all 7 of you! Aren't I the devoted one!

To start off, things have stabilised considerably, visa-wise. They're finally moving along, and before long I hope to not only be a legal resident, but a working legal resident earning a respectable salary so we can buy pretty things.

It's crazy the amount of planning and stress involved in buying just about anything when you are completely clued in to how much you're spending (or saving). Having never had to deal with that before, courtesy of my silver spoon upbringing, it takes its toll on a person! But it's all well and good, and to be perfectly honest, has instantaneous effects as far as making you feel grown up.

When I reveal to my relatives, for whatever reason, that I've been put in charge of household finances, I generally receive reactions ranging from shock to awe. They can't fathom the likes of a man handing over the reins, so to speak, to his woman. You might say at this point, that my relatives seem very primitive, and, well, Indian.

That's because they are.

I've also learnt that in Australia, people do not offer you services out of the goodness of their heart. Now I'm not denying that they are a pleasure to deal or work with, but they milk those opportunities for everything they're worth, and possibly much more.

Let's just say that I never thought I'd be paying someone $30 to read an e-mail, and another $30 to reply to it.

I mean I get lonely at home sometimes but I wouldn't go that far.

Did I mention we moved to a new place? It's a lot bigger than our old place, what with one extra floor and everything, but still quite small (I'm told) considering other houses in the area. More than big enough for me, though. I spend most of my day in the bedroom, under the quilt, thanks to the coldest winter in 4 years. You can literally feel the change in temperature as you go down the stairs, and it is highly discouraging, to say the least. As soon as our lease ends on this place we are moving to a (slightly) warmer location!

That's all I can think of at the moment. I shall have more stories for you as soon as I remember how to socialise again.

Til then, cheers!

2 comments:

Tumbleweed said...

If you are on a spouse visa you should be able to work. I'm pretty sure any bridging visa let's you work. If you are looking for some part time work, there's loads to be had online, especially for writers =)

sillyputty said...

I'm on a visitor visa at the moment. I'm just about to apply for my spouse visa :)