Tuesday, September 28, 2010

An Elaborate Excuse

It's been so long that I've had to vacuum-clean the blog before I started writing.

It would be appropriate enough if I said I'd been busy, but the truth is I've only been busy because I've kept myself so. It's not much fun sitting home all by yourself and spending all your time on Facebook and Twitter and other social networking sites just because you have an ADSL connection, your own laptop and complete freedom to do whatever the hell you want.

I realize while that was probably my definition of 'freedom' through school and most of uni, but I can't agree anymore. It's boring, to say the least. My attention span has never been all that great. In fact I'm surprised I still log into Facebook at all, albeit not as often as I used to.

I'd like to say I'm one of those elusive people who say things like, 'if you really wanted to keep in touch, you'd make the effort' and all of that, but I'm nowhere close.

It's true. I'm a social networking *insert expletive of choice here*.

So much so that my social skill level has reset itself to zero. Not that it was on pole position on any social scale, but still, at least I knew how to meet new people. Now all I do is stare awkwardly trying to think of something funny to say as an icebreaker, only to have the other person simply get up and walk away, probably deciding that I'm one of those people who have a weird foot fetish.

Only recently I've created a Tumblr account. I've had Facebook for ages and also a Twitter, and I suppose e-mail goes without saying. Then of course there's this blog - once a source of much entertainment for me through the reading of everyone else's blogs and posting my own, but now it's become my very own virtual version of the Kindle. I log in, read, and log out.

I can feel my urge to write slowly slip away. Admittedly I've never been good enough to impress myself enough into thinking I could make a career out of it, but it has always been my outlet, and the more I wrote, the better I (thought I) got.

The worst part is when I have a House moment when I feel that my thoughts must resemble those of geniuses past, and then make a mental sticky of elaborating on this blog, only to have it all wash itself away by the time I finally get down to the task. And that in itself can be very discouraging.

Usually when I write this sort of post (and I have - many, many times) I end with a pact, a promise to myself and my reader(s), if any, that I will enlighten them more often, but that's obviously never worked.

Perhaps it's time I became a little less social virtually and put more time into just living my life, rather than constantly checking up on how other people are living theirs.

Because hey, if you really wanted to keep in touch, you'd make the effort. :)

1 comment:

Tumbleweed said...

Here's me making the effort..hello :D you're writing is quite good by the way. It has a voice, an interesting voice so I hope you don't give it up!