Thursday, April 2, 2009

fumechokes

Ah, Earth Hour. The 60 electric-less minutes we were planning to envelop ourselves in complete darkness to show our support for the environment. Which of course, didn't (doesn't) go down very well with a lot of people. And it's irritating when these people not only trample your plans, but force theirs on you.

Okay, first of all, I should clear up that I'm not a full-blown environmentalist/hippie/treehugger/whatever you wanna call it. And even if I was this isn't the ideal place for it. But I do what I can. Little things, you know, here and there. Don't litter etc.

So we made a harmless plan to just switch off all the lights. Initially we were being more ambitious and were gonna switch off EVERYTHING. But then the mob gathered and that idea went out the window. They had some TV show they couldn't afford to miss. Whatever.

Okay, I should also mention that said gathering was agreed upon beforehand - get this - in light of Earth Hour (no pun). So to come to a "party" that's meant to do just that, and then insist we not do it, is just dumb. I mean, hello, it's one bloody hour, and the only thing going off is the light. The fan is on, the air-con is on, the freaking flat screen TV is on. The LIGHT is off, and my God, they were complaining and complaining and complaining some more. It was like someone had told them that all the food had run out and they were to go to bed hungry. For God's sake. Just one hour. What is the big deal?

I don't need to write out the excuses they were giving for being so...childish about the whole thing. If you don't wanna do it, fine, that's your problem, but telling us not to do it is none of your business. We'll do it if we want, how's it making your life any more difficult? If it's really that much trouble to sit in the dark (WHILE WATCHING A 40-INCH TV) then you shouldn't have agreed to the whole thing in the first place. To jump on the bandwagon just because someone started complaining is just...well, annoying.

Sad to say it's mostly the "adults" doing this. What a shame. I wish they'd grow up already.

No comments: